Sunday, May 11, 2008

Weekly Reflection Week One: 5/4-5/9

            Senior project started off with a bang! I have never been so motivated to get my ideas out and about, and complete a project from them! I am writing and illustrating a children’s book with Patty Dansereau, and we are off to a fantastic start.

            This week was a very successful week, as we met with two authors of children’s books in New Hampshire, but we also have a concrete outline for what our story is going to be about. The week started off with Patty, and I meeting Deb in New London for some coffee at Jack’s. This is where Patty, Deb and I talked about what ideas we had for our book. Patty and I really had no idea about what we would base our book on, so Deb had us create a “story cloud.” This cloud helped Patty and I along in our process of creative writing, as we were able to map our how we think a good story develops, and what characters and emotions were needed to do this. Patty and I talked through each of our story clouds, and agreed on the idea that our book would be written around an idea of a turtle that comes from a big family and wants to be noticed by her parents. We also agreed that we wanted our story to rhyme. Patty and I became extremely excited with this idea as Deb agreed that this would be the perfect base for our book. Patty was then able to go meet with author David Elliot, who is a local children’s book writer. Patty was able to share with David our beginning story clouds, and ask him what his thoughts were on our primitive thoughts. David was supportive of our story line, but warned Patty that it is extremely difficult to write in rhymes. He told Patty that when reading a children’s book that rhymes, many feel forced and unnatural, and that is something one definitely does not want for a children’s book. Patty shared the views of David with me later, as we met up so we could develop our main turtle character so we could begin writing our story. After talking with David, Patty and I felt apprehensive to try and rhyme our book, but we both know that this is completely reachable for our creative minds, and we are definitely going to rhyme our book!

            Patty and I were then able fortunate to meet with MARTY KELLEY, who is an unbelievably talented author AND illustrator of children’s books in New Hampshire. Deb, Patty and I traveled to New Boston, NH to Marty’s studio where we were able to ask him questions about his writing and illustrative processes. We were also able to look at Marty’s current books, and see some unreleased illustrations and books. This was an awesome experience as it made Patty and I aware of how much time and dedication is required to be a children’s author like Marty. We shared our story idea with Marty as well, and just like David Elliot, Marty warned us of the unnatural feel of some children’s books that are rhymed. He told us to “go for it!” but at the same time be aware of the hardships that come with rhyming a story. Marty was able to share many of his illustrative techniques with Patty and I, and showed us a story that is being released within the next year. He had been working on this unreleased story for almost 3 years now, but had never given up. What a motivator! Meeting with Marty was the best experience, as he showed Patty and I the flaws and hardships of this business, but just seeing how much Marty loved his job only aspires me even more to put all my effort into the book Patty and I are creating.

            The rest of our week consisted of Patty, and I writing down ideas and story “arch’s” for our creation. Patty and I met at Deb’s cottage on Thursday, where we had a creative epiphany! Deb wanted Patty and I to write down all of our ideas for our story thus far, and then share then with her and one another. As we joined together for our discussion, Patty spoke up quickly and told me she had this really cool idea for our book, but it was completely different form the direction that we had already made headway in. I was a little apprehensive to hear Patty’s new story idea, but was actually blown away when she told me her thoughts. She was thinking that instead of a turtle who come form a big family and wants to be noticed, why done we just write about a big turtle family in general. We would write a rhyme for each family member, and dedicate a page to each character. I was really psyched about this idea, as I then chimed in with the idea that this turtle family could have extremely diverse children whom compete all over the spectrum of thing, and that face that each family member is so different and diverse from one another, make the family even more special. The story we then created has an underlying theme of community and family dynamics, and this is what makes family so fun and special. I cannot explain how excited I am about Patty, and mines new idea for our book. It is so fun, and fresh that it makes this project even more inviting to want to work with and complete. Patty and I then finished off our week by developing the character of each family member, and starting our rough drafts of each characters poem. Patty also was able to sketch many ideas and perspective for our turtle characters.

            I this next coming week, Patty and I will need to get down to some serious business with developing, and completing a rough draft for our final book. I know that this week will be a bit more tiresome, and hardworking than the last but I know that Patty and I can do this! Our ideas are so thrilling, and we are working and bouncing ideas off of each other left and right. Our energy for this project is awesome, and I can’t wait to see how our final project will turn out. I am eager to share our experiences of the ups and downs of this process with others!

No comments: